Often considered the most popular social media, Facebook allows users to connect and share information both privately and publicly with people in their network. Facebook is one of the most commonly used Social Media tools by marketers to reach their audience. Facebook was founded in 2004 and as of July 2010 has more than 400 million active users. Additional statistics and facts about Facebook:
· 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day
· Average user has 130 friends
· People spend over 500 billion minutes per month on Facebook
· Over 160 million groups (defined as: pages, groups or events)
· Average user is connected to 60 pages, groups, and events
· Average user creates 70 pieces of content each month (content such as: web links, news, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc)
· Over 100 million active users access Facebook from their mobile devices
· People that use Facebook on their mobile device are two times more active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
While the sheer volume of Facebook users is impressive by itself, what becomes more important is how the consumer is utilizing Facebook. First, the most common use is to connect with friends via private and public messages. Second, updating personal information such as pictures and what one is currently doing. But more importantly, Facebook users are adding a wealth of key demographic information to their profiles that can be utilized by social media marketers. This is done when a user adds more permanent information like employment, education, favorite hobbies and interests. And the golden ticket for marketers is when a Facebook user becomes a Fan of a page of things like companies, politicians, and celebrities.